Type your paragraph here.
About this book
This is an enlarged edition of Professor Beer’s volume on George Eliot which initially appeared in the ‘Key Women Writers’ series issued by The Harvester Press.
It was widely welcomed. Elaine Showalter, Professor of English, Princeton University said of it that “I feel convinced that the book will become one of the very few essential sources for all serious readers of George Eliot, whether or not they call themselves feminists.”
New Introduction to 2019 edition.
1. ‘The Woman’s Question.’
2. Marian Evans: Reading Women Writers.
3. ‘Putting on Man’s Apparel’ : The Early Fiction.
4. ‘The Dark Woman Triumphs’ : Passion in The Mill on the Floss.
5. Fostering Fiction: Romola, Silas Marner, Felix Holt.
6. Middlemarch and ‘the Woman Question’.
7. Voice and Vengeance: the Poems and Daniel Deronda.
About the author
Professor Dame Gillian Beer was President of Clare Hall, 1994-2001, and King Edward VII Professor of English Literature at the University of Cambridge from 1994-2002. Her works include Darwin's Plots (1983; third edition, 2009), which related the form of Victorian novels to Darwinist thinking.
Available July 2019
George Eliot and The Woman Question
Edward Everett Root Publishers Co. Ltd.
Copyright © Edward Everett Root Publishers Co Ltd. All rights reserved.